Part of the Shine On! Counseling and Support Program, our Shine On! House was a complete support facility near the National Center for Child Health and Development in Setagaya, Tokyo. Provided everything from child care for siblings to emergency accommodation to a variety of weekly classes for patients – this house was very special in Japan. The Shine On! House worked synergistically with the clinical psychologists, counseling, and Shine On! activities in the cancer ward of the hospital to create a complete support system linking inpatients, outpatients, recovering patients, their families and the community.
Shine On! House opened in April 2009 until September 2012 to offer:
- A secure child care facility for siblings of hospitalized children.
- A safe, relaxing and fun “oasis” for patients, siblings and parents to share family time outside of, but near, the hospital when the patient is not well enough to actually go home.
- An relaxation space for parents during the day.
- A business center with computer/printer/internet and library.
- Emergency short-term accommodation.
|Goal||:||To support siblings and families of children with cancer by providing child care, a safe relaxation space, emergency accommodation and weekly educational activities for siblings and patients.|
|Need||:||Lack of support linking inpatients, outpatients, recovering patients, their families and the community.|
|Description||:||A complete support facility for children with cancer and their families near the National Center for Child Health and Development in Setagaya-ku, Tokyo.|
|Program Leaders||:||Mari Yamamori|
|Term||:||April 2009 – September 2012|
|Target Age Range||:||0~6 years old (please ask us about students)|
|Open Hours||:||Monday~Friday (except national holidays)|
|Single Day Care||:||9:00~17:30|
|Half Day Care||:||9:00~13:00, or 14:00~17:30|
|Usage Fees||:||Single Day Care: 2,000 yen per child
Half Day Care: 1,000 yen per child