There are also a number of very special courage beads collected along the way. These beads, handmade and donated by Japanese bead artists, are given during a particularly challenging time for the child … not as a reward, but as a reminder that they have been courageous enough to get through that challenge!
Shine On! Kids provides all of the materials and training to implement and ensure the ongoing quality of the program at each of the 22 hospitals currently executing Beads of Courage® in Japan.
- October 2009: Ibaraki Children’s Hospital
- May 2010: Osaka City General Hospital
- March 2011: Tokyo Metropolitan Children’s Medical Center
- May 2011: Chiba University Hospital
- May 2011: Kobe University Hospital
- June 2011: Shimane University Hospital
- January 2012: Sapporo Medical University Hospital
- February 2012: Tokyo Medical and Dental University, University Hospital of Medicine
- February 2012: Japanese Red Cross Osaka Hospital
- October 2012–March 2014 (no longer implementing): Tokyo Metropolitan Cancer and Infectious Diseases Center Komagome Hospital
- December 2012: Hyogo Prefectural Kobe Children’s Hospital
- April 2013: Japanese Red Cross Narita Hospital
- June 2013: Japan Community Health Care Organization Chukyo Hospital
- September 2014: Child Chemo Clinic
- January 2015: Shizuoka Children’s Hospital
- September 2015: Keio University Hospital
- September 2015: Kochi Health Sciences Center
- November 2015: The Jikei University Hospital
- June 2016: Kyushu Cancer Center
- August 2018: National Cancer Center Hospital
- September 2018: Okinawa Prefectural Nanbu Medical Center / Child Medical Center
- April 2020: University of Tsukuba Hospital
- April 2020: Yokohama City University Hospital
HOW TO SUPPORT
CARRY A BEAD:
Running a race, doing a big swim, climbing a mountain, studying for a big exam? Carry a Bead that will be given to one of our kids in the Beads of Courage® Program in Japan!
The Shine On! Kids’ Beads of Courage® Program is in 22 hospitals in Japan! Help us make this program a standard part of patient care in ALL children’s hospitals.
For any inquiries regarding this program, please do not contact the hospitals directly. Contact Shine On! Kids: firstname.lastname@example.org